Instagram (@NHomeBakes)

Sunday, 15 May 2011

Saya anak Sabah

And I am proud of it. I'm half Bugis (sulawesi=Indonesia). And I am proud of it. I'm part Bruneian. And I am proud of it. I have hints of Kadazan and Dusun in me, somewhere.. (My aunts have to clarify this for me). And I am proud of it.

I have never said that out loud. Taken my roots for granted. Not until recently a friend made me realize.. Yes, I should be proud of my roots!

How proud? Haha proud enough to drag poor husband to the company's annual dinner.. dressed like THIS!


Hahahaha...

So yeah. Kadazan has a special place in my heart. The 'sumazau' (kadazan dance) is the FIRST dance I learned.. in pre-school. When I was 5 years old! Performed for the end-of-year tadika event. Even learned the you know, buluh and coconut thingy.. haha no picture nor video for that.. When (of IF) I find, I post :P

Yeah, Kimberly Wyatt had early age training in ballet, I had early age 'training' in sumazau. Haha, ade hati nak sama tarafkan diri with Kimberly Wyatt.. Pfftt!!

So ANYWAY, as I was saying.. I am proud of where I come from. A lot of people I know have kampungs rumah papan. But how many can tell you they have kampung rumah papan ATAS AIR!! Haaaaaaaaaaa... hehe YES! My dad's side kampung, in Tawau.. atas air.

It's an experience that you have GOT to try. You know, where EVERY STEP people take can be heard.. When you run, the entire house shakes!.. The china in the cupboard will make the 'click click' sound as it bounces against each other.. (as far as I remember, none broke when I was running around the house!).. Toilets with a single mentol yang dah nak mati.. with the 'hole' i.e. toilet hole... literally a HOLE on the papan lantai!! Hehe so when you need to 'go', watch out cause sometimes crabs.. (yes, crabs with em' claws) crawl up the hole..

Because every house is connected.. Every house is super damn close. You just jerit sikit je, confirm the makcik sebelah rumah can hear. Haha.. Not enough sugar? Jerit je, confirm kejap lagi a little boy will turn up with a cup of sugar.. Ayam berkokok pagi2.. Haaa sebelah tingkap.. Thankfully I did not lose my hearing!

Ahh.. fun times..

Ok, I think I'm swaying a bit from what I wanted to say initially.. but you get the idea, right?

Saya anak Sabah!! ... and I am proud of it!

:) :)

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Him and I

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Darling Son

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Darling Daughter

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Total Pageviews