Instagram (@NHomeBakes)

Thursday, 18 October 2012

Colorful world


(Draft was supposed to be posted on the 11th of October but.. I just finished drafting this :P)

It was the husband's birthday yesterday. Since I've unleashed the passionate baker in me, have been itching to try my hands at making our fav rainbow cake.

I knew it would take extra effort and patience to make one, hello! Baking 6 individual layers excuse me? Yes, you read that right, 6! I know rainbows have 7 colors, but all google images of rainbow cakes seem to only have those colors.

Although it came out a tad sweet (the frosting), I've managed to learn a great deal!

1) when you want to order one from your friendly online baker, pay up! All that effort surely justified the price!!

2) if you only have 2 hours, go back to sleep.. It took me at least 3 hours

3) I was lucky my oven could fit two of my round trays. It means only 3 times baking instead of 6!

4) get freakin' quality non-stick baking trays! My trays made the job quicker, out the oven, transfer to cooling rack, refill and boom back in the oven!

5) Since I didn't have that much time and... I was a tad bit lazy to do massive washing up, I divided the batter into 6 disposable tupperwares (didn't find the right big sized disposable paper cups) to mix the colors in.. I also used plastic spoons I collected from the in-laws when there was take-away nasi ayam and no one bothered to use the forks and spoons given. Mix mix mix, pour... THROW!

6) make sure you pre-measure all ingredients and have them ready in front of you.. eliminates kelam kabut'ness

7) the first two times of making cream cheese frosting, tak jadi sgt. I forgot how I made it perfect time kat UK dulu. This time round, I softened the cream cheese first (biar kat luar fridge je sudah, nothing too technical about that!).. but it still must be cold so the frosting won't heat up too fast and turn runny. Also, don't overmix!

8) Put cake in TIGHT CONTAINER if you want to let it cool before giving it a final coat of icing.. otherwise, it will dry out

9) Bawa-bawalaaa belajar decorate.......don't go all 'tadika look' like me :P

10) If you don't have patience, don't bother. Go buy je!

Hehe, there you go... a few lessons I learnt from the experience. Rest assured, I'm looking forward to the next rainbow cake baking session. It takes time, and patience. But it's oh-so satisfying! Sedap tak sedap nasibla ah, hahaha free cake made out of love.. telan jerla :P

But am definitely on a mission to make it perfect, taste AND looks! The husband was surprised coz he didn't notice when I made them, sneaky ah?! hehe Next mission, perfecting piping techniques (or getting it right to begin with!) and trying to produce a good meringue cake..

And you wonder why I've been eyeing kitchen aid mixer ah???

xx

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Him and I

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Darling Son

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Darling Daughter

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Total Pageviews