My son has now officially been potty trained! Well, don't include sleeping times lah.. We're lazy. We dowan to wash tilam everyday.
To be honest, it has been a very slow process for us. I've heard of kids being potty trained even before they reach 2 years old. People doing it over 3 days, you know, all those success stories.
But I'm not one to compete. First, I'm not a full time housewife. Hence, I don't have the luxury of chasing him around and washing every single drop of 'love trails' spilled on the floor, nor do I intend to trouble those taking care of him. Helping me take care of him whilst I'm at work is already too much to ask. I am not about to add more guilt to my conscience. I'm grateful as it is.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I've read about other supermoms who managed to potty train their kids much earlier than Aaron even when they're working full time. Lots of respect for them. But as I said, I am not one to compete. I choose to NOT stress ourselves, during supposed 'training' weekends when we can actually have fun spending time together as a family. Therefore, no drama for me during the weekend thank you!
What we did though, is start the process slowly... And very early... When I say slowly.. I mean it. We bought the potty 'bowl' or whatever you want to call it long ago.. I think before he even turned 2! Getting him used to the idea, when he wants to. Not forcing when he doesn't want to. In total, I have 3 potty assist gadgets. One is the.so-called bowl as mentioned, and the other 2 are kinda like attachments to the toilet seat, to make it smaller to fit his size.
But it wasn't until lately that we've gone full force. How? Negotiation. Really, talking to him and explaining the process rather than just putting him on the potty and forcing a pee, so to speak. I don't do reward stars or anything, so normally what we just do is ask how are the other kids in school i.e whether or not they're potty trained and stuff. When he said that most of them don't wear diapers anymore, we then try to reason with him, trying to make him 'want' to do it, by his own will. Our conversations usually go like this:
Me/Y: Abg and kakak (of friends) kat school pee kat toilet tak?
A: Haah..
Me/Y: Then why you don't want to pee kat toilet too?
A: Malu nak cakap teacher...
Me/Y: Cannot be shy la boy, nanti lagi malu if pee dalam seluar kan?
A: Haah, A dah big boy dah
(goes off to pee in potty)
Sooner or later he got it! Weeee!! Although we did understand that the No.2 would definitely not be easier. So we've had times where when we're out, he insist on wearing diapers when he wants to do a No.2. Despite several encouragements and 'trial', he couldn't do it in the potty. Until lately!! We're so excited!
However... at home with us, he will ALWAYS ask for the ipad (bapa borek anak rintik don't ask!) and requests that we play him the same song, EVERYTIME
'Thousand Y3ars' by Chr|stina P3rri'
No idea why!
xx



2 comments:
well done A! big boy sudaaahh
Hehehee kan?? Macam tak percaya dah :P No more heavy diaperbags!
Post a Comment